Dr. Sio Joanna Ut-Seong
Linguistics and Literature
Syntax, semantics, phonology, Chinese languages, language teaching, verbal arts, communication, documentation, dialectal studies
Dr. Joanna Ut-Seong Sio is linguist originally from Hong Kong. She was educated in Macau, Hong Kong, Canada and received her PhD in Leiden University in the Netherlands. Her research interests include Chinese languages, especially in the area of syntax and semantics, as well as the use of verbal arts in the training of communication skills.
- Sio, J., U.-S. and Morgado da Costa, L. (to appear). Building the Cantonese WordNet. In Global WordNet Conference 2019 Proceedings.
- Sio, J., U.-S. and Tang, S.-W. (to appear). Two types of aa3-nominals in Cantonese. Language and Linguistics 21(1).
- Kratochvíl, F. and Sio J., U.-S. 2018, VOT Contrasts in Zhongshan Min. Current Research in Chinese Linguistics.
- Sio, J., U.-S. 2017. Demonstratives. In Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics, ed. Rint Sybesma, Wolfgang Behr, Yueguo Gu, Zev Handel, C.-T. James Huang, and James Myers, Brill, Leiden.
- Sio, J., U.-S. 2017. Personal Pronouns Across Varieties of Chinese.In Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics, ed. Rint Sybesma, Wolfgang Behr, Yueguo Gu, Zev Handel, C.-T. James Huang, and James Myers, Brill, Leiden.
- Sio, J. U.-S. and Wee, L.-H. 2014.Teaching Linguistic Skills through Comedy: An Interdisciplinary Approach. In Sivan, Atara, Dennis Chan and Mark Wallbanks (eds.), Studies on Teaching and Learning, vol. 3, pp. 107-118. Pearson.
- Sio, J. U.-S. 2011. The Cantonese ge3. In Nominalization in Asian Languages:
Diachronic and Typological Perspectives, Volume 1: Sino-Tibetan and Iranian Languages, ed. Foong Ha Yap, Karen Grunow-Hårsta and Janick Wrona, pp.125- 146, John Benjamins, Amsterdam.
- Sybesma, R. and Sio, J., U.-S. 2008. D is for Demonstrative: Investigating the position of the demonstrative in Chinese and Zhuang. The Linguistic Review. [Special issue on syntactic category and their interpretation in Chinese, Huba Bartos (eds.)] 25:3, pp. 453-478, Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin.
- Sio, J., U.-S. 2008. The encoding of referential properties in the Chinese nominal. Language
and Linguistics 9:1, pp.101-126, Academia Sinica, Taipei.
- Sio, J. U.-S. 2006. Modification and reference in the Chinese nominal, LOT, the Netherlands.